Response from Free Screen Recorder with Instant & Private Sharing For Mac, Windows & Linux @Ryan – Thank you very much for your feedback. You need to create a forever free account to lift the 5 minutes recording limit and remove the 3-2-1 countdown.
- Best Recording Software For Mac
- Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Torrent
- Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Free
- Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Pro
- Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Free
Capturing your computer screen is a handy trick in all sorts of situations, ranging from creating tutorials to capturing web moments for posterity. There are a plethora of tools that help you capture your desktop.
Following is a curated list of top 30 handpicked Screen Capturing software with popular features and latest download links
Snagit is a powerful screen capture tool which allows you to capture both still images and grab a frame from the video. The tools come with Smart Windows Detection. It allows you to crop images so that you can select either whole window or a part of the window.
- Screen capturing tool supported with windows
- Capture your entire screen
- Edit with a few clicks
- Quickly explain a process
- Allows you to add visuals to your documentation
Screenpresso is a highly powerful screen capture tool. It allows the user to save captured images in various formats and also save all recent screen capture history.
- Screen capture tool for windows
- Light-weight and powerful screen capture tool with a built-in image editor
- Highlights captured images with arrows, colorful bubbles, text boxes, etc.
- Captured images can be converted into PDF, MS Word or HTML documents
Pickwick screen capture tool offers In-built image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, and more.
- Allows you to take screenshots of an entire screen, the scrolling windows or any specific region of your desktop
- Annotate and highlight images: text, arrows, shapes and more
- Support the floating widget Capture Bar which allows you to take screenshots
Jing is a screen capture tool offered by TechSmith. The captured images are shared on screencast.com to provide the URL to copy/paste the images. It allows you to capture video of your screen.
- Screen Capture tool for Windows and Mac Operating Systems
- Jing is easy to use and has a user-friendly user interface
- It allows a user to share screen capture images very quickly
- It allows uploading images and URL to the social media sites like YouTube, Flickr, etc.
- Helps you to remove brand names from the images
Greenshot is an open source screen capture tool. This tool allows you to quickly capture screenshots of a selected region, window, or entire screen. It also helps you to capture scrolling web pages from the Internet Explorer and other browsers.
- Compatible with Window OS ( any version)
- Easily annotate, highlight or obfuscate part of the screenshot
- Quickly create a screenshot of a selected region
Fire shot is an ideal screen capturing tool which allows you to quickly creates screenshot as per your business needs.
- Screenshot software tool for Windows
- FireShot helps you capture web page screenshots, perform quick edits, add text annotations
- Allows you to annotate, highlight parts of the screenshot
It is a free, open source lightweight and free screen capture tool from advertisements. It offers screenshot capture, screen recorder, file sharing and productivity tools.
- Supported with Windows
- Easy screen capture sharing
- Offers Customizable workflows
- Comes with multiple tools like screen color picker, image editor, QR code generator, etc.
Lightscreen is an easy to use screen capture tool. The tool allows you to automate the process of saving and cataloging screenshots.
- Screen capture tool for Windows and Linux
- System tray icon for easy access
- Allows you to take configurable actions with global hotkey access feature
- You can preview window by using integrated image viewer
Download link: http://lightscreen.com.ar/
9) Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool helps you to take a screenshot of your screen. It enables users to capture the whole screen or selected area in a rectangular form.
- Screen capture tool for Window OS
- A user can edit these snapshots using a colored pen, highlighter, etc.
- Captured images which should be stored in PNG, GIF, and JPEG format
- After capturing the screen, it can be copied, and it can be further pastes if needed
10) FastStone Capture
FastStone Capture is a powerful, lightweight full-featured screen capture tool. It helps the user to capture and annotate all that is in the screen including windows, menus, objects, and even web pages.
- Instant screen capturing with the help of Hotkeys
- Capture windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand, etc.
- Capture multiple windows and objects which includes multi-level menus
- Draw annotation objects like texts, arrowed lines, highlights, watermarks, circles and rectangles
Skitch is a screen capture and quick image capture and annotation tool. This screen capture tool allows you to mark areas.
- Skitch is a free screen capturing tool for Mac and Windows OS
- It offers easy to use with a user-friendly interface
- Available for Android and iOS mobile devices
- A user can Skitch for annotating photograph directly from the camera.
TinyTake screen captures any screen as per user-specified area or region. You can highlight images with the help of colored pen and images. It can be edited with the help of textbox, arrow or picture caption.
- Free screen capturing and video recording tool
- Capture image of the entire screen or specific region
- The selected part of the screenshot can be blurred to hide sensitive data
- It also records areas of the screen activity
Lightshot is screen capture tool allows you to take a screenshot quickly. It allows the user to take a screenshot of a selected area which can be resized or moved without any hassle.
- It allows you to captures the screen with just two clicks
- User-friendly interface makes your work complete in a faster pace
- While capturing screen, the user should be able to edit the same screenshot
- Automatically uploads captured images online for sharing
14) Screenshot Captor
Screenshot Captor captures images in full-screen mode, selected area, scrolling window, fixed size window, etc. This is simple to use screen capture tool.
- Screenshot Captor is a free tool available for Windows
- It allows you to captures images from a webcam
- It easily captures the screenshot of multiple monitors
- It automatically trims the extra margins of captured images
- Supports 3rd party configurable tools like file browsers, image editors
15) Gadwin PrintScreen
Gadwin PrintScreen is easy to use and most convenient screen capture tool. It allows you to assign a hotkey on the keyboard, to capture screen with different modes. Like full screen in the selected areas.
- Screen capture tool for windows
- Customizable export options for simple controls
- Full-screen data can be put on the clipboard
SnapCrab captures images as per the user-defined area, full screen and saves the images in JPEG, PNG and GIF formats.
- Screen capture tool for the Windows platform
- It has a self-timer feature so that user can set the time to automatically captures an image on the screen
- Various customization options such as defining your hotkey, modifying how to take a snapshot of the screen
Best Recording Software For Mac
The program allows users to create screenshots, annotate them and upload them to the cloud. It allows some part of the screen or selected area.
- Monosnap is a free screenshot program for Mac OS X and Windows
- Capture full screen, some part of the screen, or a selected area
- Upload snapshot to storage in one click
- Hide private information with our blur tool
Download link: https://monosnap.com/
The shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. It helps you to take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or entire website.
- Screen capture tool for Linux based operating systems
- It captures every detail on screen without losing control over your screenshots
- Offers a wide range of plugins that allow you to add impressive effects to your screenshots
Snipaste is an easy to use and powerful snipping tool. It allows you to pin the screenshot back onto the screen. You can also be able to convert text or color info in the clipboard into a floating image window.
- Support for Windows OS
- Auto-detect UI elements
- Detailed functionality options
- Multi-screen support & HiDPI support
Gyazo tool allows you to grab anything on your screen, share anywhere, and find everything inside your screen.
- Capture instantly
- Share anywhere
- Find captures area quickly with automatic tagging
21) Awesome Screenshot
This Screen capturing tool allows you to capture every part of the web page which includes adding annotations, comments, blur sensitive information and share with one-click uploads.
- Screen capture tools for windows
- Specific feedback about your screenshots and designs
- The easiest way to communicate with images
- Store and organize your images by project
Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Torrent
HotShots is a software for capturing screens and saving them in various image formats. It also adds annotations and graphical data.
- Screen capture tool for Linux
- Full-featured, yet simple tool
- Speed it up with HotKeys
- Built-in magnification
- Freehand and multi-screen capture
Snaggy is the most straightforward tool to share a snapshot of your screen. It allows sharing your screenshots with just a single click.
- Crop and edit your images with the simple, built-in editor
- Register an account to manage and delete your old images
- It offers fast workflow which needs only the minimum number of keypresses
24) Ashampoo Snap
Ashampoo Snap is a powerful tool to create screenshots and videos. The tool also allows you to create a screenshot of 3D fullscreen games. It also Instantly capture all visible desktop windows as an object.
- Screen Capturing Tool for windows
- Flexibility and precision for your captures
- Capture and edit any screen content
- Provide all the information in a single image
- Helps you to create real-time videos
7capture is a screen capturing tool which automatically handles complicate transparency issue. It offers screen capture of the windows' rounded corner and transparent backgrounds.
- Screen capture tool for windows
- Perfect quality screenshots
- Handles all types of transparency issues with ease
- Allows you to capture as semi-transparent JPEG, PNG, GIF images
Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Free
WinSnap is a user-friendly screen capture tool for taking and modifying screenshots. It captures windows of non-rectangular form with transparent backgrounds.
- Capture Multiple Objects and Regions
- Support for PNG Transparency and Alpha-Channel
- Built-in Presets to ease your work
Special discount for Guru99 users - enter coupon code GURU99 on the order page to purchase WinSnap with 30% discount.
27) Snipping Tool++
Snipping Tool++ is a free and simple tool. It allows users to take a screenshot of a specific online page.
- Screen capture tool for windows
- Integrates automatically with social media
- It checks the presence of viruses and similar malware
- Free and User-Friendly Screenshot Software for Personal Computers
28) Cloud App
CloudApp is another powerful screen recorder tool. It allows you to capture video, webcam, screenshot annotation, and GIF creation securely to the cloud.
- Screen capture tool for Mac, Windows and Linux OS
- Capture everything that you see in your cloud
- Enhance screenshots and GIFs with annotations
Grabilla is a simple yet powerful screenshot capture tool. You can use voice commands to capture or record screen.
- Screenshots or screen videos
- Cloud or personal storage
- Access from anywhere
- Publish to social networks, blogs, forums
- Create short links and QR codes
Print Screen has its own dedicated keyboard button on most Windows computers, but what about when a still image doesn’t cut it? After all, it would be really hard to make a tutorial, stream a game, or film a lesson if you couldn’t capture a screen recording.
Using an external camera is clunky and difficult, so instead, we have compiled a list of built-in methods and available third-party software that will do the trick instead. It may not be as simple as pressing “prt sc”, but these tools are more than capable of doing the job.
Are you on a Mac? Also read: How to Record Screen on Mac
Method 1: Windows Built-In Screen Recorder (through the XBOX app)
Windows 10 has a built-in screen recorder you can use without installing anything extra. However, it’s only available if you have a graphics card with Intel Quick Sync H.260 (2011 models or later), Nvidia NVENC (2012 models or later), or AMD VCE (2012 models or later except Oland), so if you’re having trouble, make sure your computer is up to spec.
For those who do have the proper hardware, here’s how to do it. Now, this feature is meant for gamers, but it can be used with any screen material.
First, press the WINDOWS and G keys. Then, in the pop up choose “Yes, this is a game”.
From there, recording is simple. You can use the red button on the bar to start and stop a recording, or use the settings menu to set an automatic cut off time for your recording.
Once you’re done, the file will be saved as an MP4 in your VideosCaptures folder. For more information on using the Game Bar for screen recording, you can check out this youtube video:
Method 2: Using Microsoft Powerpoint
Happen to have Office PowerPoint on your computer? Then you can use the program to create screencasts, not just presentations.
Normally, this will embed the screen recording on a slide, but you can also choose to save it as a file. Here’s how to do it.
First, open Microsoft PowerPoint. Then choose the Insert tab and ScreenRecording.
Next, choose which part of your screen you want to record with the SelectArea tool. If you’re using Office 2016 or later, you can also use the hotkey WINDOWS + SHIFT + A. Click and drag the cross hairs to select your recording area. If you do not want to record audio, press WINDOWS + SHIFT + U to toggle it.
Once you’re ready, press the Record button.
The small control panel will disappear unless pinned, but you can make it reappear by moving your mouse to the top edge of the screen.
After you’re done, press the Record button again. The video will be automatically embedded in your slide, and you can choose FILE > SAVEAS to save your presentation. If you only want to save the video, choose FILE > SAVEMEDIAAS and then choose the destination folder and video name.
Note: If you are using PowerPoint 2013, you’ll need to follow some special instructions for recording and saving your video. You can find the official tutorial here.
Method 3: OBS Studio
If you’re not a fan of PowerPoint or want a dedicated tool for regular screen recording, OBS Studio is a great video recording software. It’s open source, doesn’t watermark or place time limits on your content, and offers many powerful editing features as well. It also supports live streaming at 60FPS and is a popular choice for this as well.
Before you get started, you’ll need to download OBS Studio from their website here. Since this is a very full-featured program, you’re going to want to run through some basic setup and settings before you get started.
This means you should check out all the settings such as enable/disable automatic recording, streaming setup, bitrate, audio sampling rate, hotkeys, and file naming format among others. What you choose for these will depend on where you plan to show your videos and the capabilities of your computer.
Alternatively, OBS studio does offer an auto-setup wizard that can choose some things for you.
After all the setup, you can get started with a basic screen capture. First, put OBS in “Studio Mode” so that the left side says ‘preview’ and the right side says ‘live’.
To set up a screen capture, choose Sources > + > WindowCapture > CreateNew. In the drop down list that appears, choose the window you want to record.
This should place your window in the ‘preview’ panel. If it looks the way you want it to, click transition in the center of the screen. If it doesn’t, drag the red corners until the preview is adjusted to the size you would like.
Then, click Start Recording and StopRecording to create your video. By default, these are saved as flv files in the user/videos folder, but you can alter this path and save type in the settings.
OBS Studio is a very powerful software, and perhaps one of the best free programs for creating screen recordings or streaming. Its features extend far beyond the simple setup shown here. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a lot of tutorial materials so you’re going to need to find most of your resources from the online community. Streamers may find that a good place to start is this tutorial from Youtube.
Method 4: FlashBack Express / FlashBack Pro
If you’re looking for a dedicated software that can do both the recording and the editing, FlashBack might be a good choice. You can use their free version just for doing basic captures, but the paid option will allow you to make use of editing tools, save in a variety of formats, and add special content to your videos. It’s also one of the best screen recording software we’ve reviewed.
Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Pro
Here’s how to get started with FlashBack. First, download FlashBack from their site (choose “Express” if you want to start for free).
This will download an exe file. If this makes you uncomfortable, consider a different software. Next, click through the installation process.
When you reach this startup screen, choose “Record Your Screen”.
You’ll then have the option to change some settings for your recording, such as the audio source and capture size.
You can also decide whether to capture a window, a region, or the entire screen. If you select region, you’ll see some red cross hairs that you can drag to create a selection.
Then, press “Record” and do everything you need to. While recording, you should see a small bar on the bottom with “pause” and “stop” buttons. This bar can be hidden or shown at will.
Once you’re done, you’ll be asked to either review, discard, or save your recording. In Express, you will see a limited editor that will allow you to trim and crop the video as needed. Pro users will have a more full-featured video editor.
When you’re done editing, you can use the “Save” feature to save your video in a program-specific format. Or, you can use the export feature to save it as a normal file.
There are quite a few options, such as WMV, AVI, and MPEG4. Additionally, you can choose to export directly to YouTube instead by going to File > Share.
FlashBack Express is a simple solution with a lot of potential for screen recording and editing. It’s very easy to get started, and if you want to get more out of it you can buy a pro license just once (there’s no monthly subscription).
Method 5: APowerSoft Online Screen Recorder
If you prefer a web-based solution, APowerSoft offers an online recorder. The name though, appears to be a bit misleading – when attempting to try the software, we found that it does ask you to download a small package. However, the functionality comes completely from the website.
To use this tool, you’ll need to go the APowerSoft Screen Recorder website. Then, just click the “Start Recording” button in the middle of the screen.
Agree to any prompts that appear, such as “Open APowerSoft Online Launcher”. If you choose not to create an account, you’ll also see the following warning before you get started:
Creating an account is simple enough if you want to remove the watermark, but you can get started without one. Just click the “x” in the top right and you’ll see a new recording window appear. From here, you can resize your capture zone, move it around, or adjust special settings such as hide/show the toolbar, hotkeys, and etc.
To start and stop recording, just press the red button. When you’re done, you’ll be shown your video clip.
Simple Screen Recording Software Mac Free
You can use the save icon to save your screencast as a video file or as a GIF, or use the share icon to upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, Drive, or Dropbox.
APowerSoft is a very lightweight program. It does give you some flexibility – for example, you can capture audio from the system, microphone, both or neither – but it is limited as far as editing capabilities unless you buy the paid version. You’d need to use a separate program on your computer if you plan to do any kind of edits. On the other hand, the tool is very quick to use and could be great in a pinch or if you don’t need to make any fancy changes before sharing them.
YouTube Live Streaming
If you have a YouTube channel, you can take advantage of the YouTube Creator Studio to film a screen recording. This requires using the live stream feature, so it’s not a great fit for everyone, but it could work out in some cases. To get started with using YouTube for screencasting, check out this tutorial.
Filmora Scrn is a dedicated screen recording software made by Wondershare. It offers dual camera recording (screen and webcam), plenty of export options, and editing tools. Some people prefer it because the interface is a lot cleaner than some competing applications, but as this isn’t a free software, it’s not quite as accessible as some of the other methods listed here. However, if you’re interested in an easy-to-use and specialized screen recording software, you can check out Filmora here. We’ve also reviewed Filmora with more details.
Unlike many of the more specialized programs, Camtasia is a full-featured video editor first and a screen recording software second. It offers the most editing and production capabilities, which makes it a great choice if you want to do more than just record your screen or plan to produce several kinds of videos. The interface is very clean and easy to use. You can check out our full review of Camtasia here.
Snagit is a program made by TechSmith, the same company that makes Camtasia. However, Snagit is not an all-in-one tool, and instead is only meant for screen recording. It offers some interesting features such as a magic selection tool that can automatically detect areas to record as well as an editing panel that will let you annotate your final videos. You can learn more about it here or read our detailed Snagit review here. Note: Snagit is a paid software.
CamStudio is a free software, but it’s an older and less well supported software compared to some alternatives. The program is maintained primarily by one individual and definitely has a few bugs that are still being worked out, but if you’re interested in trying it’s worth giving a shot. CamStudio may not be as “shiny” as some alternatives, but it is free and available here should you be interested in it.
Whether you’re making videos for a small classroom, thousands of subscribers, or for your own enjoyment, learning how to record screen on Windows 10 can make a huge difference. Depending on what features are important to you, there’s a variety of options that can meet your needs and no reason why you shouldn’t succeed in making a great video.