The default applications in Mac are easy to use. But, some of the default apps lacks some features that we badly need. Or there are operations that we want to perform but aren’t available in Mac default programs. So, what we can do in such a scenario?
- Change Default Open With Program
- Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Pro
- Change Default App For File
- Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Os
- Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Windows
Read this post if you want to change the default programs in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10. Method 1 – Use Open With Dialog. The easiest way to change the default launching program for a file type is to right-click on the file, click on Open With and click on Choose Program. This will change your default mac image viewer. Read Also: 10 Best Data Recovery Software for Mac 2018. Note: By following the same steps as given above, you can change your Mac’s default app to open files & file types as well. These all the steps allow us to change the default applications on a Mac.
All we can do is change default application on Mac from the one we want to use in Mac.
Today, in this article, we will be looking at the step by step guide for how to change Mac default programs from the ones that we prefer to use.
Change Mac Default Calendar
This process will change your Mac’s default Calendar Application.
1. From the Applications folder, open Calendar or type ‘Calendar’ in Search box and open it.
2. Now, from the menu bar of Calendar, go to ‘Preferences’.
3. Now in General, select the ‘Default Calendar App’ menu.
4. In this menu, choose the preferred calendar application, which will be the default calendar app.
How to Change Default Mail Application on Mac?
This process will change default mail application on Mac to open and send mails.
1. From the Applications, open Mail or type ‘Mail’ in Search box and open it.
2. Now, from the menu bar of Mail, go to ‘Preferences’.
3. Now in General, select the ‘Default Mail Reader’ dropdown menu.
4. Choose the preferred default mail reader application. There are some applications that are not fully functional at times. So, when choosing the default mail reader app make sure that it performs all the functions that you want to perform.
How to Change Default Browser on Mac?
This process will tell you how to change default browser on Mac with the specific web browser of your choice.
1. For this, you have to go to Mac’s System Preferences from the menu bar.
2. In System Preferences, go to General box.
3. As soon as you enter the General Pane in System Preferences, there is a ‘Default web Browser’ option followed by the dropdown menu.
4. From the given list of web browsers, select the one that you most commonly use. And, if you see any third-party web browsers in the list, avoid making them as your default web browser.
This process can also be done from within the respective web browser by going to preferences & simply performing the steps.
Read Also : How To Organize Files And Folders Using macOS Tags
Make Google Chrome Default Web Browser
1. Go to Preferences in Google Chrome menu.
2. In Default Browser option, click ‘MAKE DEFAULT’.
3. After this, a Mac OS dialog box will appear on your screen asking you to confirm. Select Use “Chrome” button.
Note: Mozilla Firefox can be made default browser by following the same steps given above.
Change Mac Default Image Viewer
This process will change your Mac’s default image viewer with the specific viewer of your choice.
1. Find and search for an image in file finder with extension .jpg or .png.
2. Now, right click on the picture and select ‘Get Info’ option from the menu.
3. In Get Info window, search for ‘Open with:’.
4. Now when you click the menu given on the right side of Open with, a list of applications will appear that are able to view that image.
5. Choose the application that you want to open your image with.
6. Now press the ‘Change All’ button. This button confirms that the particular application is set as the default image viewer application.
7. After pressing Change All, a dialog box will appear on your screen asking you to continue with this app. Press Continue.
This will change your default mac image viewer.
Read Also : 10 Best Data Recovery Software for Mac 2018
Note: By following the same steps as given above, you can change your Mac’s default app to open files & file types as well.
These all the steps allow us to change the default applications on a Mac.
There are some applications as well that allow you to change your systems default applications.
If you found this helpful, please let us know. You can also drop your feedback in the comment section below.
With so many great open source programs on the market, it’s pretty normal for people to use third party text editors, photo editors, etc. instead of the default programs installed on Windows.
For example, when I double-click on a TXT file, it always opens up in Notepad. That used to be OK, but now that I have installed Notepad++, an awesome text/code editor with tons more features, I would rather have all my text files open with Notepad++ instead of Windows Notepad.
So how can you change the default program for opening a particular file? Well, there are two ways to go about it. Note that these instructions are geared more towards Windows XP users.
Read this post if you want to change the default programs in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10.
Method 1 – Use Open With Dialog
The easiest way to change the default launching program for a file type is to right-click on the file, click on Open With and click on Choose Program.
Now choose the program that you want to use to open files of this type. If it is not in the list, you can click the Browse button, navigate to the Program Files folder and click on the EXE file.
Once you choose the program, make sure to check the Always use the selected program to open this file box and then click OK.
That’s pretty much it! Now any time you click on a TXT file, it will open using the program you selected in the Open With dialog.
Method 2 – File Types Dialog
Change Default Open With Program
The second method is to open My Computer, go to Tools, and click on Folder Options.
Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Pro
Now click on the File Types tab and scroll down to the file type extension you want to change, in our example TXT.
Change Default App For File
Click on the Change button and the same dialog pops up like when you click Choose Program from the Open With menu. Go ahead and pick the program from the list and click OK.
Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Os
You can do this for any file type on your computer, including pictures, sounds, videos, PDF documents, etc. I know that I prefer to use Foxit Reader over Adobe Reader any day because it’s so much faster.
Change Default Software To Open Files Mac Windows
Also, be sure to check out my list of other great freeware programs you may not know of. Enjoy!