If you’ve been wondering lately as to how to change the hard coded MAC address of your network adapter, you will be happy to know that with the help of some software you can now change (mask/spoof) the MAC addresses of your network adapters for free! We have identified some of the MAC address changer tools that help you mask or spoof the hard codes of certain network adapters effortlessly.
What is MAC Address?
Unlike we think, IP address is not the only factor that helps connect computers in a network, but MAC address is also equally significant. So, whether you are connected using a wireless network or through a wired one, a network card is needed for your computer to be connected to others and vice a verse. The network is assigned a specific address or attribute that are usually allotted by the manufacturers and this called Media Access Control or MAC address. However, you can change them manually later with the MAC spoofing process.
In order to find the MAC address of your network adapter, you need to go to the command line, press the keys (Win + R), type in “cmd” in the “Run” box and hit “Enter”. You are then required to key in the command “getmac /v /fo list” and hit “Enter” again. You will then be able to see the MAC address for each of your NIC adapters.
May 27, 2020 Well, Change My MAC is another best app available on the Google Play Store that lets you change the MAC Address. However, the app requires a rooted device to run. Follow some of the simple steps given below to use Change My MAC Android app. First of all, download & install Change My MAC on your Android.
Significance of MAC Address Changer Tools
While we already know that the MAC address changer tools help you to change the unique addresses of your network adapters, it primarily helps protect your network from needless connections. You simply need to approve the MAC addresses you want to link to the network or the internet and that’s it.
While you can certainly change the MAC address of the network adapter manually through the control panel, there are quite a few software that helps you to take care of it easily, without any mess and for free! So, if you are looking to change the MAC address for verification, privacy, limited data usage, etc. you can surely make use of any of the below listed best free MAC address changer tools for your purpose.
Technitium MAC Address Changer
One of the top contenders in the list of the MAC address changer tools is Technitium MAC Address Changer that lets you spoof or change the MAC address of your network adapter in no time. The user interface is simple and easy to use while it displays the status, speed, network connections, MAC address, and the status if the MAC has been changed. If you wish to view the properties like IP Address or information you simply need to click on the Network Connections tab separately. It will show details like Connection, Device, Hardware ID, Config ID, TCP/IP4, TCP/IP6, Original MAC Address, and Active MAC Address.
It offers abundant information related to each network adapter along with the facility to edit settings to a large extent. Each NIC is hard coded with a MAC address which is then utilized by the by windows drivers to gain entry to the LAN. Using this freeware you can assign a new MAC address to the network adapter overwriting the native MAC address.
Some its notable features are:
- Quickly move between network configurations with the help of advanced network configurations automated with IPv6;
- Let’s you configure any NIC completely;
- Offers you options for command line with complete availability of software functionality;
- Allows you to download latest manufacturer data from IEEE.org via the update network card vendor’s list functionality.
You need to toggle to the lower panel of the graphic user interface to change the MAC address. Hit the option “Random MAC address” to show the MAC address randomly or hit the “change now” option to spoof MAC address. Undo changes by clicking on the option that says “Restore Original” or import/export MAC presets with this free tool.
Compatibility: Windows 10, 8 & 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit
SMAC MAC Address Changer
Available in five different types, SMAC is a compelling MAC address changer that’s extremely easy to operate irrespective of whether the vendor allows the address to be changed or not. The free version is the most basic one called Evaluation Edition which offers some of the essential functionalities. However, it misses a few enhanced features that are available in the paid versions. It can also view IP config in addition to spoofing MAC address.
Some of its additional features include,
- Deletion of IP address spoofing,
- Randomly generating new MAC address based on a selected vendor,
- Automatic enabling of MAC address just after changing it,
- Pre-loading of MAC address lists and pick the new one from the list,
- Easy to use user interface and easy to understand guide,
- Confirm changes in MAC address by clicking on the IPConfig option to display the NIC info,
- Lookup and display of MAC address.
Compatibility: Windows 7, VISTA, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000
Win 7 MAC Address Changer
If you are on Windows, Win 7 MAC address changer is your best bet. It is a straightforward application for Windows that can help you change the MAC address of wireless or wired NIC. It’s extremely user-friendly software and allows you to change MAC address in a few simple steps.
- Select the network interface adapter you want to make the change on (except virtual and loopback NIC);
- Choose your operating system from Windows Vista, 7 and 8. This software features are limited and hence, cannot be used on Windows 10;
- Manually enter or create a MAC address by clicking on the “Randomize” option, and hit on the “Change” button for the new MAC address to take effect.
The changing of MAC address helps protect your identity in a network, troubleshoot network issues, helps solve issues related to software and hardware items or just for some fun. You can see both the MAC addresses on the interface including the new one. If you want to undo the changes, simply click “Reset to Default” to get back the default MAC address. To export the log info in text format, click on “View Log”.
Some its additional features are:
- Simple and clean interface that displays what’s most important;
- Generation of MAC address instantly with Random MAC address generator;
- Works with both 32 and 64b bit windows versions;
- Allows you to reset the MAC address by just clicking once on the “Reset Default” option;
- Lets you view Quick System info via the included beta module;
- Extremely compact with just 98KB size;
- Supports nearly all wireless and wired NIC from all manufacturers;
- Compatible with new Windows 8 version;
- Allows you to reset default settings of all applications;
- Helps user keep a tab on all actions or undo any required actions with the help of the log file.
Compatibility: Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8
NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer
NoVirusThanks MAC address changer is a user-friendly program that lets you identify the active NICs and then helps you change their MAC address effortlessly. As you can view the list of all available adapters, you can even choose to activate the virtual network cards. It also displays the current MAC address, vendor details, Address type, Network Connection type and status.
It comes with a simple interface where you simply select the network adapter, click on the button “Change MAC”, input the new address and click “Change”. You can either enter the address manually or simply generate an address automatically. You can also undo the changes by hitting the “Restore MAC” button to restore it to the original MAC address. What we love about the software is that it does not contain any unnecessary information and simply displays what’s required.
In situations, where you cannot change the MAC address you need to adjust the new MAC address as some of the network cards acknowledge only unique ranges. A must have for all security professionals toolkit; NoVirusThanks MAC address changer is compact yet useful.
Change Mac Address Router
Some of the features of this freeware:
- Displays information for all the available network cards;
- Compatible with nearly all NICs;
- Comes in a very small size;
- Helps change MAC address smoothly and in no time;
- Helps create MAC address with just one click;
- Helps undo the change in MAC address;
- Works with all MS Windows versions;
- No MS .NET framework required
Compatibility: from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
If you are looking for a straightforward application that can help you change or spoof the MAC address easily, Spoof-Me-Now can be just the one for you. It is a portable software hence you do not even need to install it. You can just drop the program files in any section of the hard disk and simply hit the executable button to run.
Not just that, you can also save the software program to a USB flash drive or any other portable storage unit. You can then execute it on any PC with least endeavor and no past installers. The best part is that the Start menu does not get refreshed with the fresh entries, and hence there are no remnants left behind after the deletion of the program.
It offers an interface that’s easy to use and has a clean structure with a single window where you can access all the options available. You simply need to choose a network card, find the MAC address and site the new one you want to convert it into. In just a one click of a button you can spoof the MAC address. Go to the “Spoof To” options and you will see the MAC address that has been automatically generated. If you want to change it manually, you need to choose the “Spoof” to modify the MAC address. You can take a look at the all the changes made in the log window. Expect the MAC address changing feature there are not many choices.
Compatibility: All Windows versions
Smart MAC Address Changer
Smart MAC Address Changer or Smart DNS Changer is a resourceful network utility for changing your DNS server and PC proxy settings along with the ability to change MAC address. The software gets installed quickly and easily with no interrupting adware. The tool was swift enough to start working in a matter of seconds.
It comes with a tabbed interface and opens up the “DNS Changer” displaying different common DNS servers such as Google, Norton ConnectSafe, Comodo, Norton, etc. in addition to the default “Automatic” choice. You can then change the MAC address in just a few clicks. You can even enter DNS addresses manually in the boxes provided and click on the buttons to open the window for the Windows Network Connections and the Network Diagnostics app.
It offers a “kid shield” feature that lets children use filtered DNS and browse the web normally while keeping them away from any adult sites. Using this option you can select separate DNS servers for individual users on your computer and the tab will be automatically activated whenever your children log in.
Click on the third tab that says “MAC address changer”. To enable the blocked internet connection due to the MAC address, you can select the required network card here and input new one here manually. You can also use the “Proxy Changer” option by clicking on the relevant tab, choose the web page link (no proxy list available), identify something relevant, copy and paste the same into the Proxy box of the tool.
Now, to change the MAC address, click on the “MAC address changer” tab find the current MAC address, and click on the “New MAC address” tab. Now select the “generate random MAC address” option to auto-populate the new address or just manually enter one. Click on “Apply MAC Address” and bingo, your MAC address is changed!
This is basically a DNS changer software that also helps with MAC address change.
Compatibility: Windows 10, Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit), Windows 8, Windows Server, Windows Vista (32 bit), Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows XP
A lightweight MAC address spoof software for Windows, MadMAC comes with a compact and a moderate graphical user interface. In order to spoof the MAC address you simply need to choose the network card interface, input the MAC address manually and then eventually save the settings to bring the change to the MAC address. Except for the MAC address changer, there are no other choices available on this software.
In order to configure the address, launch the EXE where you want to be run from. Select the interface that you want to change. In case you do not want to randomize the MAC address, you can enter the prefix manually. Now check the box that says “change default MAC address on this interface” or check the box that says “Check if this is a WiFi NIC (or some problematic wired ones) under Vista/7/8 (2nd nibble randomly set to 2, 6, A or E)”. Hit the “Save/Apply” button to save the MAC address settings and apply.
You can even go to “Run On Startup” if you want to and can switch it on in case you want to auto-populate the MAC address each time you boot. Renaming the computer with every boot is pretty easy as well. Simply change the name “Sample dic.txt” to “dic.txt” or you can assign you own name to the computer list text file.
Compatibility: Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8
Change MAC Address
Change MAC Address is a tool that locates the unique MAC address assigned to the network adapter chip by the vendor. Using this tool you can even find those addresses that are hidden for privacy or change them especially when they are used for internet access authentication.
You can now spoof the MAC address conveniently in just a few clicks. While the MAC addresses changing procedure you can even choose a different vendor or even create an entirely new MAC address. Some of its key features are:
- It displays the MAC address of your network card interface;
- Display the network adapter vendor;
- Helps change the MAC address replacing other address;
- Lets you generate an entirely new MAC address;
- Setting up a MAC address of another vendor;
- Setting up a MAC address without modifying the vendor;
- Enabling the new MAC address automatically after the modification in just a few mouse clicks.
Compatibility: Windows 7/2008/2008R2/8/2012/8.1/2012R2/10
Change MAC Address Manually
If you are someone who rather prefers changing the MAC address manually, you simply need to follow a few simple steps.
- Open Control Panel, go to the Network Internet option and then reach the Network Sharing Center;
- Click on the “Change Adapter Settings” and then hit the “Configure” button;
- Toggle to the “Advance” tab and hit the button that says “Locally Administered Address”;
- Click on the radio button that says “Value” changing it from “Not Present”;
- Finish by adding a 6 pair MAC address without any space.
Save the changes you made to the spoofed MAC address.
Change MAC address on OS X
Firstly, locate your MAC address on your OS X by holding down the “Option” key and hit the “Wi-Fi” button in the menu bar. The codes mentioned at the “Address” section with the colons is your MAC address for your OS X. but, in cases where your address has been modified, you can run the command as “ifconfig en0 grep ether” to test the address that your computer is using to communicate.
Now, whenever you want to change the MAC address of your OS X network adapter you can fix it with the command “sudo ifconfig en0 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff”. The MAC address will be then set for en0. If there’s an Ethernet port, you can then set it for en1. On the other hand, if you want security you can rather randomize the MAC address. the command will go as “openssl rand -hex 6 sed ‘s/(..)/1:/g; s/.$//’ xargs sudo ifconfig en0 ether”. This will help populate and set up a fresh MAC address for en0 each time you carry it out, however, they are restored on reboot and hence, are not permanent.
Saurav is associated with IT industry and computers for more than a decade and is writing on The Geek Page on topics revolving on windows 10 and softwares.
Media Access Control is a unique ID consisting of 12 digit hexadecimal numbers. It comes already hard-coded on your mobile system. This identifier helps to distinguish a specific device over the cluster of devices connected to a particular network. If you are surfing the web from your Android phone using a WiFi network, the network adapter of your WiFi devices must have a MAC address to set up the connection and transfer data over the network. MAC address looks something like this XX::XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, where each X is a hexadecimal character i.e. ranges from 0-9 or A-F. A possible MAC address could be, 1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F where the first 6 digits find your manufacturer and the last six digits find your network interface card.
There any many instances where someone has blocked your device from connecting to their router, what should you do in that case? Changing the MAC address of your device would definitely work in this case. If you are connected to a WiFi but you don’t want to leave any trace of your presence on the network i.e. you want to protect your privacy, in that situation also you can change the MAC address in Android Devices.If you ISP binds the services to a particular set of MAC addresses but you changed your device, you can change the MAC address to get internet access. Of course, MAC address can be changed for many other malpractices but this guide on changing the MAC address doesn’t promote such illegal practices, it only only meant to give you a insight on the concept.
If your Android device is rooted, you can easily change the MAC address of the device but what if it is not? Don’t worry we have a trick to change the MAC address without rooting your android device. For changing the MAC address permanently, you will have to root your device. However, if you just want to have it temporary changed, you don’t need to root your device. But before moving on with changing the MAC, let us see how can you look up your MAC address. I strongly recommend to just note down your MAC address before starting to experiment on it. You also need to know the connection name, to get it all follow the steps below:
- Open up settings and then go to WiFi.
- Now, you will see a gear on the top of this screen, click it. But if you don’t see it, look for “Configure WiFi” option and click it. Some Android system have Advanced option in WiFi, MAC address can be found there also.
- Voila ! You can find the MAC address on the bottom of this screen. Keep a note of it.
- In order to get the interface name, you will have to install Terminal Emulator for Android. Go to Google Play Store and download it or click the link to get it.
- Once you download it, install it and open up.
- Type the following command : ip link
- You screen will be filled with lot of information, useful and useless. Now, remember I told you to keep a note of your MAC address. Just look for this MAC address under “link/ether” for all the cases.
- The one that matches our MAC address, is the connection name. For most of the devices it is either “wlan0” or “eth0”.
Now, that we know our MAC address and the connection name, we can go on to change the MAC address with this terminal emulator only. Before that you should have a valid MAC address in your mind or generate one from this link. Once, you have a new MAC address, just get on with the below steps:
- Launch the Terminal Emulator
- Just type the following command: ip link set wlan0 address XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY, where wlan0 is the name of the interface and XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address you want to set.
- Important thing to keep in mind that the manufacturer name should be kept unchanged while changing the MAC address i.e. XX:XX:XX (first 6 digits) should be same as before, otherwise you might face a lot of authentication issue.
- This is only a temporary change and when you restart your device, your previous MAC address will be retrieved back.
This was all about changing the MAC in non-rooted mobile phone, for rooted devices you have a bunch of options to select from. Here are a few techniques you can use:
1. Using BusyBox App
We still need a Terminal Emulator for this method. Open the Terminal and then type the following commands:
- su –> This will get you into super user mode
- busybox iplink show wlan0 –> this will pop up the current MAC address
- busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX –> configure the new MAC address
- busybox iplink show eth0 –> this is to check whether the MAC address has been changed or not.
2. Using ChameleMAC App
Download and install the app from the link above and follow the steps:
- Open the app, it will ask for root permissions. Just grant it !
- Now, it is way too easy to work on this app. Everything is provided on the main interface of this app.
- Take a note of the Real MAC address of your computer and then go ahead to generate a random MAC address by clicking on the button specified.
- Click on “Apply new MAC”, if you find the generated MAC address good enough or you could generate another random MAC address.
- Once you click apply it, it will ask for confirmation. Go ahead with the change option.
Some Android phones actually don’t let you change MAC address without rooting it, but if you are lucky enough you will get through it. Android system is upgrading with new security features with every upgrade, it is becoming difficult to change the MAC address Android Permanent. You can try whatever method you like to change the MAC address, it doesn’t really matter. But do remember to change it on your own risk. If you have any problem, comment down below and let me know !
Read Also: How To Use Your Android Device as a Webcam